Petunia has sticky leaves: what to do. Causes, prevention
The article discusses in detail the problem "petunias have sticky leaves": what to do in this case, what may be the reason, how to prevent the problem, the rules of plant care.
Petunia has sticky leaves: basic facts about the problem
Petunia has sticky leaves: what to do
Petunia has an amazing scent. Also, this plant is very fond of lighting. Thanks to the wide variety of colors, you can create various bright flower beds that do not need to be diluted with other plants. Petunia can be bush, ampelous, cascading, depending on the shape of the bush. Depending on the number of petals, the plant can be simple or double. The plant loves fertile soil, does not recognize acidic and alkaline soil. If you take proper care of the plant, it can bloom until the first frost. But you don't need to think that this plant is picky about care. this is wrong. But even if you do not carry out a minimum of care measures, the plant can be exposed to diseases and attacks of insect pests.
Why does petunia have sticky leaves?
Sticky leaves of petunia: photo
Keep in mind that petunia leaves can be sticky depending on the variety. if you notice a sticky bloom on the leaves of petunia, then you do not need to panic right away, you need to determine exactly what caused the stickiness of the leaves. But, unfortunately, all the same, most often this condition is associated with some kind of disease or insect. The first thing to look out for is the presence of aphids. If you notice that there are black or gray dots on the plant, then this will indicate the presence of aphids. Therefore, having noticed this, you need to immediately start processing the plant with the help of special aphid remedies, which can be purchased at any flower shop.
In addition to stickiness, the foliage of the plant will begin to turn yellow, which will indicate a lack of nutrients. To fix this, you need to transplant the plant into a slightly larger container and observe how the flower behaves. Most often, young shoots are infected, which still do not really have immunity, unlike adult plants. They are affected by rot and black flies. This can occur if the seeds are too close to each other. Also, do not water the seedlings too abundantly. Also, special attention should be paid to the choice of soil. Diseases most often begin to develop in the presence of some kind of fungus.
If you notice the first signs, then you need to immediately start taking a number of measures:
- The plant must be removed along with the soil around the plant.
- Spray healthy bushes with special products.
- Also pay special attention to watering the plant. stagnant moisture can cause various diseases and pests.
Also, temperature changes can serve as the cause of the appearance of fungi. as a result, the plant may be subject to diseases such as powdery mildew. A white spot may appear on leaves and flowers. If you notice such signs, then the affected shoots must be removed immediately. For prevention, you can spray the plant with a soda solution. Getting rid of a pest can be problematic, so it is better to carry out prevention.
To do this, you need to keep in mind:
- Insects cannot feel comfortable in light soil.
- Before planting a plant, it is necessary to steam the soil.
- Don't plant the seeds too thickly.
- It is important to observe a certain temperature regime.
- Watering should not be too abundant, but not too little. Focus on natural conditions.
- You don't need to apply a lot of nitrogen fertilizers.
Why petunias have sticky leaves: what to do
If you know for sure that your petunia belongs to a variety that does not differ in leaf stickiness, then you need to understand the reason for this phenomenon. This must be done as quickly as possible so that the plant does not begin to shed its flowers and get sick, but eventually die.
Also, petunia leaves turn yellow and sticky as a result of the formation of a substance on them, which is emitted by various pests. It may not be difficult to understand which pests have settled on your plant. You just need to carefully examine the entire plant. Even a small insect, if desired, can be well seen. You cannot leave the plant in this state. After all, the plant will become covered with a sticky substance over time and will need to be removed from the site. Therefore, it is best to purchase a special tool and process the plant with it.
Petunia's sticky leaves: what to do to prevent the problem
If you are afraid that the plant may be attacked by insects, then it is better to carry out preventive spraying of the entire plant in advance. but if you plant the plant correctly, so that the place is well lit, no fertilization is needed, then you can provide it with all the natural care it needs. In this case, there will be no threats to the plant at all. After all, pests turn their attention to plants that are in a weakened state or they are deficient in light, mineral elements or excess moisture, grow in a draft or in an insufficiently ventilated place. Also, petunia can be attacked by pests as a result of an unfavorable neighborhood with an already infected plant.
Do not think that stickiness is a natural condition that can go away on its own. It is necessary to take care of the plant as best as possible in order to avoid this condition in the plant. it all depends on the place of planting and further care of the plant. From time to time, you can make nitrogen fertilizing, which is suitable specifically for flowers that grow outside. But with fertilizers, you need to be extremely careful not to overdo it. After all, this can also negatively affect the plant.
Petunia has sticky leaves: how to treat it?
Proper care is the key to a healthy and strong plant. you need to start leaving from the moment when the first shoots appeared:
- Each sprout must take its own roots.
- Apply potash fertilizers every 8-10 days. This is especially important for plants that grow in pots. Nitrogen fertilizers can stretch the plant, which is not acceptable.
- Conduct timely and moderate watering, and then loosen the soil.
- Pinch long stems, harvest dry flowers.
Most often, petunias can be harmed by the following insects:
- Whitefly - although the insect is small, it can cause significant harm to the plant. The typical sign is a large number of beetles that appear after touching the flower. The shoots turned yellow and began to fade - the main sign of the presence of an insect. In the fight against insects, you can use confidor and actelite. After these funds, there will be no trace of the whitefly.
- Aphid. how to act if aphids appear on the plant very quickly so that it does not die. You can see her during a routine examination. It actively spreads along the stems and leaves of the plant. at the same time, they have a deformation. The leaves are curled into small tubes.If you look closely, you can also find black dots. To fight, it is necessary to spray the plant with an actara, decis or confidor. Most often, the reason for the stickiness of leaves in petunias is precisely the presence of aphids on the plant. To eliminate blackheads that appeared after an aphid attack, special chemicals that can be purchased at any garden store will help.
- Spider mite... This insect can cause significant damage to the appearance of the plant, and not only petunias. Your beautiful plant may be gone for several weeks. If you look closely at the plant, you can also see the cobweb. It is for this reason that the leaves of the plant become sticky. To combat this insect, you need to start treatment with fungicides.
But you shouldn't blame everything on insects. The reason petunias have sticky leaves can also be nutritional deficiencies. Therefore, in this case, it is better to transplant the plant into a large container and monitor how the plant will manifest itself.
Preventive measures so that petunia leaves are not sticky or yellow
The main preventive measure is proper care and attention to the plant. If you do everything right, then you will not have to think about why the foliage has become sticky.
Therefore, if you become the owner of a petunia, then you need to remember a few rules:
- A neutral soil works well for the plant. The soil should not be heavy or sour.
- Adequate distance must be maintained between seedlings.
- Implementation of proper watering.
If you know what to do if the leaves become sticky, then you can save your plant in a short time. Also keep an eye on the nitrogen level in the soil. make sure that there is no stagnation of moisture, so that the roots do not rot and the soil does not acidify. Using the advice, you can extend the life of the petunia. Petunia will be able to decorate the site with its beautiful flowering.
Petunia has sticky leaves: what to do