Hardy plum varieties
As it has already become clear, plum belongs to those crops that have their own vulnerability to external factors and the environment, especially during low temperatures and severe winter frosts. So how do you choose the right variety of plums, such a variety of it, so that later you will not be upset because of a dead crop that could not withstand the climatic stress in your region?
Let's take a look at some specific examples of viable plum varieties that may be right for your garden - there are about 2000 varieties of them, and even 35 that are suitable for growing in non-chernozem areas.
- Early ripening red - a viable variety of plum, bred through folk selection. Differs in a sufficient level of resistance to low temperatures, as well as self-fertility. The beginning of fruiting falls on the 4th or 5th year, the fruits are fully ripe by the second half of August.
- Plum varieties: Hungarian Moscow - the fruit, characterized by fruits of a dark red color, which have a raid that casts purple. The taste of the fruit is quite pleasant, sweet with sourness, mainly used for the preparation of a variety of processed products - jams, juices, preserves. The bone from the pulp of this viable plum variety can be separated easily and without difficulty. Fruits begin to ripen after the tenths of September, this variety is rightfully considered the most productive and resistant to low temperatures. Also self-fertile.
- Smolinka - a variety that ripens in the early stages, can be attracted by large fruits of the correct shape, distinguished by pleasant taste. The weight of the fruits varies from 30 to 35 grams, the color is usually dark purple, the ripening period falls on August 14-15, some cases were recorded on the 25th, but not later. The fruits are perfectly suitable for consumption both fresh and for subsequent processing - be it freezing for future use or drying. The taste is quite sweet, juicy, sourness is present, the flesh on the cut is slightly yellowish with a green tinge, the bone is easily separated from the flesh.
On average, one tree accounts for up to 7 kilograms of harvest, which is an impressive figure for a plum grown in favorable conditions. The variety is distinguished by its early maturity, self-fertility.
Unfortunately, the harvest is irregular, as a rule, bears fruit through annual growth, as well as on bouquet branches. The advantage is sufficient resistance and immunity to fungal diseases. Resistance to low temperatures is noted as medium, moderate. Trees can be up to 5 meters in height.
- Spark - a variety that differs from the previous one in the small size of an adult tree. Begins to bear fruit around 3 or 4 years old, the fruits are beautiful and ruddy, yellowish in color. The taste is sweet, pleasant, suitable for fresh consumption and for preservation. This viable variety of plum ripens in early September and is ideal for beginner summer residents.
- Yakhontova - a variety that also ripens early, its advantages are high yields and fruits, the quality of which is defined as dessert. The fruits are as large as those of the resin, the weight is practically the same - in the region of 35 grams. Fruits are bright yellow, round, ripen from 15 to 18 August. Suitable for both fresh consumption and for the preparation of processed products, preparations for the winter season.From one tree, you can harvest up to 70 kilograms of fruit during the harvest period - this figure is incredibly high, especially if you grow a crop in a small area.
Pollinators in this case are ordinary varieties of home plums. The variety is distinguished by a high level of resistance to low temperatures, as well as moderate immunity to fungal diseases. Most often, such varieties are found in the central regions and take root well there.
- Prunes - a hybrid known to us from childhood, obtained by crossing a plum and a blackthorn. The fruits are not too large in size, round in shape, the color is most often dark blue, the flesh is characterized by a green tint.
Unfortunately, the prunes ripen quite late - closer to September or, in some cases, in October. After they are fully ripe, the fruits remain until November, until they fall off. Some forms are distinguished by really tasty, fleshy fruits with a thorny flavor, so they are also grown by some summer residents in their garden, and for the sake of experiment, you can try to do it yourself.
- Super early - a rather curious variety obtained by free pollination with the Tatarskaya yellow variety. Differs in surprisingly early ripening of fruits, moderate resistance to infection by fungal diseases and damage from insect pests.
This viable variety of plum is also quite winter-hardy and fast-growing. The purpose is defined as canteen and technical. The trees are not very tall, its fruits are small enough, reaching a weight of 12 grams, outwardly characterized by a wrinkled structure.
When choosing a plum for your garden, first of all, you need to take into account its endurance to certain conditions. If you approach this issue competently and observe all the conditions for growing this crop, then next year, when harvesting, you will be rightfully proud of yourself that you were able to attach your viable plum variety to your territory. Good luck!